City put five past Huddersfield to reach FA Cup quarter-finals

Manchester City came from behind to thump Huddersfield Town 5-1 and set up an FA Cup quarter-final with Middlesbrough.


Harry Bunn gave Huddersfield a shock lead before Man City took control of the encounter. Leroy Sane levelled the scoring before Sergio Aguero converted from the penalty spot and Pablo Zabaleta made it three from close range.

The hosts added two more in the second-half, with Aguero grabbing a second and substitute Kelechi Iheancho making it five with the last kick of the match.

City made one major change, with Claudio Bravo returning between the sticks for the first time since being dropped for Willy Caballero. Bacary Sagna and David Silva dropped to the bench with Yaya Toure dropping out of the squad completely. The trio were replaced in the starting line-up by Zabaleta, Gael Clichy and Aleix Garcia.

Huddersfield manager David Wagner made nine changes from the side that drew with Barnsley on Saturday, as he continues to play a different side in the FA Cup to that in the Championship.

Man city nearly took the lead after just four minutes as Sane sent an effort with the outside of his boot crashing back off the post. The rebound almost fell for Fernandinho, but the midfielder couldn’t bring the ball under control.

Huddersfield then took a shock lead when Harry Bunn put the Championship side ahead. A delicate touch from Philip Billing gave Bunn space in the box to send a left foot shot through the legs of Bravo and give his side the lead, very much against the run of play.

City were denied a penalty when Kevin De Bruyne’s ball across the face of goal appeared to hit the arm of a sliding defender, with three City players queuing up to put the ball into the empty net.

Fernandinho then went close, as Raheem Sterling’s cross bobbled to the Brazilian, whose goal-bound shot was headed away for a corner.

The pressure being cranked up on the visitors and City levelled the match. A beautiful long pass fell to Sterling, who mesmerised the Huddersfield defence with his quick feet and squared the all for Sane to prod home. Tareiq Holmes-Dennis was lucky not to be penalised in the build-up, where he seemed to flail an arm at the ball into Sterling.

Their next claim was not to be rejected though, as City were finally awarded a penalty when Nicholas Ottamendi was pulled down by Jon Stankovitch as he tried to get onto the end of a weighted ball from Zabaleta. Aguero took the penalty and sent the goalkeeper the wrong way, placing his penalty to the left side of the net.

The Argentinian almost made it a quick fire double, as Gael Clichy hassled Crainey, allowing Aguero to charge into the box, his neat finish coming off the same post Sane had hit earlier in the half.

They weren’t made to wait long for the third though, as Huddersfield started to look extremely vulnerable. Aguero stung the palms of the goalkeeper before latching on to the rebound and laying it Zabaleta to roll it into an empty net from three yards out.

Jack Payne had a chance to grab Huddersfield town a lifeline, Getting in the end of a good pass from Billing, but he didn’t catch it properly and sent a weak effort into Bravo, who gathered at the second attempt.

Huddersfield had the first real chance for the second half. Substitute Rajiv van La Parra delivered a superb cross from a short corner into Joe Lolley, who sent a header just wide of the post when he really should have scored.

It was then there turn to feel aggrieved as Collin Quaner, who was more prominent for Huddersfield in the second-half, appeared to be brought down by John Stones in the City box. The referee was not convinced, waving away the somewhat muted appeals from the Championship side.

At the other end De Bruyne tested the goalkeeper with a dipping freekick, which was palmed away for a corner.

Just when it looked like Huddersfield may keep it to three goals, City struck again. Fernandinho found Zabaleta, who flicked the ball past the oncoming midfielder out to Sterling. The Englishman whipped a low ball towards the front post meeting the run of Aguero, whose first time effort thundered past Coleman in the Huddersfield goal to make it four.

Quaner had a fantastic chance to get one back for Huddersfield late on, blazing a volley over the bar from close range.

This obviously irked City, who went down the other end and added a fifth with the last kick of the match. Zabaleta linked up with Jesus Navas this time, who played a low cross into fellow substitute Iheanacho, who finished off a solid performance from Pep Guardiola’s men.

Man City: Bravo, Zabaleta, Stones, Ottamendi, Clichy, Fernandinho, Sterling, De Bruyne (Delph, 75), Garcia, Sane (Jesus Navas, 81), Ageuro (Iheanacho, 79)

Unused Subs: Sagna, Fernando, Caballero, Silva

Huddersfield: Coleman, Cranie, Hudson, Stankovic, Holmes-Dennis, Whitehead, Billing (Hogg, 67), Lolley (Smith, 61), Payne, Bunn (van La Parra, 54), Quaner

Unused Subs: Ward, Kachunga, Wells, Hefele

Referee: Paul Tierney

Attendance: 42,425